Monday, November 2, 2009

I'm baaack

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay but I was having health issues (I'm fine now though). But I did get some good stuff when I went to the emergency room which I plan to tell you about now (too bad I was so out of it or I would have video taped).

The first lovely thing was when the nurse tried to put an IV in my arm. She was very nice but didn't believe my mom that an IV in my arm was a bad idea (I tend to flex my arms and ball them up). She did manage to get it in and tape it down but as soon as she left it stopped working because I kinked it. She tried again and the same results. Its not like she was trying to torture me, but she didn't listen! Eventually she conceded to putting it into the back of my hand which worked well. Then I had to have an ultrasound. The technician came in and had a big badge with "Student" written on it. My mom and I looked at each other like "greeeat". So my mom played up my CP and said because of it, I'm really difficult to give an ultrasound (this is a slight exaggeration). But it did the trick so I had the senior technician. Meanwhile the student accidentally pulled my IV out. Then she was sitting unfortunately close to me when my body decided to barf all over her general direction. So that was lovely. The ER doctor was surprisingly cool. He talked to me directly and waited for me to respond. Too bad the other people weren't as cool.

I always interview doctors before I make an appointment to make sure that they communicate with me directly and not just to my parents/aides. Obviously in emergencies I can't interview the doctors. My general practitioner is great. She talks directly to me and allows me to email with her and doesn't defer to my parents. I have rolled out of some doctor interviews because they treated me like an infant. I can't stand that. But considering this was an ER visit, it went slightly better than expected.

14 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the health problems. Hope things are going better. As far as the IV goes, heaven forbid the Almighty Technician listen to the dumb patient who couldn't possibly know anything about her body!

    You seem so good-natured about all this when you write about on your blog but don't you ever get mad at people? What do you do then?

    Danine
    http://www.danine.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're feeling better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, you are cracking me up! I love that it was your body that decided to barf all over her general direction. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Also, I think this whole email communication thing with doctors is really going to pick up steam. Glad you found a doc who's into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to see you writing again...although I'd hope it'd be about a more plesent experience than the er. I am glad you are now feeling better. I love your sense of humor! Can't wait to read more! =0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry for the ER visit- sucks! glad for your post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also loved the phrasing in "when my body decided to barf all over her general direction." Awesome.

    This feels like a ridiculous question, but how do you go about interviewing doctors? I've wanted to do this, but have been derailed by my intimidation (General doctor intimidation as well as insurance BS). I realize that my issues with avoiding doctors are all my own, but hearing about your experiences would be great, if you'd care to talk about them (the good and the bad, though I'm guessing there are far more of the latter category).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you are back and feeling better and i too love the humor of your blog bes of luck with everything I have a blog if you want to visit the adress is jennyscpexperience.blogspot.com I would love to have your imput

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry you were really sick and hope that you're feeling 100% better. It amazes me when medical professionals don't listen to what we know from experience--what would be easier and work better for all of us. I am also interested in knowing more about interviewing doctors--I don't like having an extended medical appt. before knowing whether things will work out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear you've been sick, but I'm glad you're back. Yeah, even as an "able-bodied" person, I've had a lot of issues with doctors not listening to me about my body (I get a lot of infections and react badly to certain medications). But some drs/nurses are absolutely golden--I had a good medical experience this week for once :-)

    PS--I love your blog! I love learning about people, and anything that makes me re-examine the way I interact with others is always a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doh, sorry you've been sick! But glad to hear that you are on the mend. You made me think of Alice when you said your body decided to barf... Alice has been barfing a lot and that's exactly what it seems like, her body just decides it's time to puke!

    Argh about the IVs!!!! IVs are always torture for Alice, and me :( I can't believe the student pulled it out of your hand!! Of course it wasn't intentional, but perhaps your body wasn't too pleased so that's why it decided to puke in her general direction, hehe :)

    Hope you continue to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops, just wrote a long comment and managed to delete it. Basically saying I got linked here from the Guardian online and like the blog so far - hope you decide to keep it going :)

    Cheers,

    Lucy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm gald that your back I was getting worried for a second there. I hope everything is alright now.

    Samantha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so cool that you interview docs and will leave if they are being condescending. I am appalled at what some of my friends will put up with in a physician. My gynecologist laughed in my face when I said I was taking something naturopathic for my fibroids. I didn't go back. Now my GP wants me to go back to him, saying "any doctor would have laughed" and talking up his excellent reputation. I suppose I'll give him one more chance since my GP really wants me to, but you have inspired me to stick to my guns in these situations!

    I'm so glad the ER visit went pretty well, in spite of the few mishaps.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I just came across your blog and am loving it. I'm 27 and I have a congenital heart defect and wanted to empathize here because I'm not only trying to get my doctors to defer to me (works more often than not) but my mom to stop steamrolling to talk over me like I'm not there.

    ReplyDelete